Franconian Museum Feuchtwangen
The history of the museum goes back into the year 1902 when in Feuchtwangen the Society for Folk Art and Folklore was founded.
The aim of the society was to collect folk art from Franconia and to exhibit it in a district museum.
Soon precious and unique works of art like the gothic Saint Anna’s altar from Sachsbach and the magnificant rococo fire hose from Herrieden could be aquired. Donations and purchases of closed private collections from the first decade of the 20th century form the basis of the rich collection of fayence and folk art of the museum.
In 1926 the present museum was opened in a half timbered house from the year 1522.
First a number of typical middle-class living rooms which illustrate the development of the style of living from Baroque to Rococo, Empire, Biedermeier and up to Art Nouveaux.
Two farmer rooms and the historical kitchen convey a picture of the everyday life of the country people.
In addition there are rich special collections on tin, glass, fayence, stoneware, porcelain, pottery, religious folk art and rural furniture.
A glamorous climax is offered by the fayence collection with 700 exhibits.The largest part of this tin-glazed ceramic originates from the nearby manufactories Ansbach, Schrezheim and Crailsheim.
At the fayence from Ansbach the stylistic development of form and decoration can be very well observed. It leads from blue and white painting to multicoloured decoration, from the early series of Chinoisery to the late folkloristic motives, from the production for the court of Ansbach to the articles produced for the middle class.
Together, with its stock of textiles and traditional costumes, children’s toys and love gifts from the 18th and 19th century the museum offers a complete survey of the artistic creative work of usually unnamed persons from the Franconian area.
Through extensions, new installations and enlargemant of the museum garden with technical and agricultural equipment and a house for braking flax the exhibition covers an area of
1700 square metres.